Passionate about taking care of people and want to turn it into a career? A career in community service may be for you! Community services are vital to society. They encompass a range of areas, including social work, mental health, disability support, child protection, and homelessness. Those working in community services play a significant role in helping vulnerable individuals, families and communities. As a result, community services offer a rewarding and fulfilling career path.

There are several community service courses you can take that can help you get started on a career in this field. Another terrific way to get your foot in the door of community service is through volunteering. Volunteering allows you to gain valuable experience, learn more about the field, and make a difference in people’s lives. Many professionals in community services began their careers as volunteers.

To transition from being a volunteer to a professional, you need the necessary education and qualifications. Most entry-level positions in community services require at least a Certificate IV in Community Services or a related field. If you’re considering a career in the field, here are some job opportunities you can look forward to upon completing your community service courses.

Social Work
Social work is a popular career pathway in community services. Social workers assist individuals, families, and communities in dealing with issues such as poverty, mental health, child protection, and disability. Social workers can work in a range of settings, including hospitals, schools, community health centres, and government agencies.

To become a social worker, you will need a bachelor's or master's degree in social work. Social work degrees provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to work in the field. They also include practical placements, which give you hands-on experience.

Mental Health
Mental health is another area of community services that offers a range of career opportunities. Mental health professionals work with individuals experiencing mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia. You can often find mental health professionals in hospitals, community health centres, and private practices.

To become a mental health worker, the minimum qualification required is Certificate III in Community Services (CHC32015) or Certificate IV in Mental Health (CHC43315). You will also need to be registered with the relevant professional body in your state or territory.

Disability Support
Disability support workers provide support and care to individuals with disabilities. Disability support workers can work in group homes, day programs, and respite centres. They assist individuals with daily living tasks, such as showering, dressing, and eating. They also provide emotional support and assist with social activities.

To work in disability support, you will need a Certificate III in Individual Support (Disability) (CHC33015) or Certificate IV in Disability (CHC43115) or a related field. Some positions may require additional qualifications, such as a first-aid certificate or a driver's license.

Child Protection
Child protection workers are responsible for protecting children from abuse and neglect. They work with families to ensure children are safe and support struggling families. Child protection workers can work in government agencies or non-government organisations.

To work in child protection, you will need a bachelor's degree in social work, psychology, or a related field. You will also need a Working with Children Check and a police check.

Homelessness is a significant issue in many communities. Homelessness support workers provide support and assistance to individuals who are experiencing homelessness. They help individuals find housing, access services such as healthcare and employment support, and provide emotional support.

To work in homelessness, you will need a Certificate IV in Housing (Homelessness Support Work)or a related field. Some positions may require additional qualifications, such as a first-aid certificate or a driver's license.

Youth Support
Youth support workers work with young adults and adolescents to help them navigate the challenges of their age and provide support with their personal, social and educational needs. They provide emotional support to young people, help them develop life skills, and facilitate activities and programs that promote personal growth and development.

To become a youth support worker, the minimum requirements are a Certificate IV in Youth Work (CHC40413). For more advanced roles, such as when working with juvenile delinquents or troubled teens, you may also need a Diploma of Youth Work (CHC50413).

Aged Care
Aged care workers provide support and care to elderly individuals who require assistance with their daily living activities. They help with tasks such as personal hygiene, medication management, meal preparation and transportation.

To become an aged care worker, you will need to complete either a Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing) (CHC33015) or a Certificate IV in Ageing Support (CHC43015). You will also need soft skills like communication, empathy, patience and teamwork.

Drug and Rehabilitation
Drug and rehabilitation workers provide support and assistance to individuals dealing with addiction or substance abuse issues. They may work in hospitals, community health centres, and rehabilitation facilities.

To become a drug and rehabilitation worker, you must complete a Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs (CHC43215) or a Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs (CHC53215).

In addition to completing the necessary community service courses, you also need to have a range of other skills, including communication, problem-solving, empathy, resilience and teamwork. You will also need to be adaptable and able to work in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment. Although most of the above courses offer work placement, it can be easier to find work placements and a job after study if you are above 18.

Author's Bio: 

I have zeal to pen down my thoughts when it comes to writing. When not working, either I am glued to my playlist, Netflix, books or you can find me splurging on myself.